Thursday, May 19, 2011

007- Maldivian Society Through My Inexperienced Eyes.

To start off this post, I would like you to keep in mind that I am not very much familiar with many many things about this society and how it works. Some of it pretty much basic, I guess. So forgive me for any error in this piece of writing.

There is so much wrong with this society and to name a few, corruption and gang violence would be at the top of the list.

For the past three days I have been going to the nearby shop to buy my usual Dutch Lady chocolate milk packet. And I was astonished to find out that the price had gone up by 1 rufiyya for each day. I hear my Mamma complain that the price of the groceries has gone up as well. And these prices hasn't gone up just by one or two rufiyyas. It has gone up about a minimum of 10-20 rufiyya in the past few months. And this is speaking of almost all the basic products that we use on a daily basis.

Recently there were strikes regarding this very problem. People came together to voice their concerns regarding the change in the dollar exchange rate and the prices of the commodities that we consume daily. These strikes were SUPPOSEDLY lead by the 'youth' of our society. What was sickeningly hilarious was that all *I* saw was parliament members and political party members losing what little shame and dignity they had left on national television. The clips of their atrocious behavior had reached the international media as well.

The whole point of these strikes were to voice the concerns related to the difficulties us, commoners faced because of these changes in prices. But I was shaken with disapproval and distaste to witness these so called leaders of our society shouting their throats sore to bring down the current president. They were way off the point and these strikes made no change in the standard of our living. Unfortunately, all it did was cause terror in the hearts of the people and made us lose a few nights good sleep that we could have had. What I don't understand is, if all they wanted was to bring down the current government, then why do it in a false pretense of the welfare of the public? Why not just sit outside the president's palace and shout your rear end off?

Night before last night, I was watching the news with my family. I heard on the news that an enormous sum of money was being set aside by the ruling party to buy parliament members of the opposition party. An estimated sum of 29 million was being set aside for this disgraceful, immoral purpose while the people of this nation struggled every single day to try and feed their families. While these people are trying desperately to make ends meet and barely getting there. Where is the humanity? Where is the public welfare that these people talked about while they filled our ears with false promises?

And these people, so many of them who changed their parties and all of what they were said to have believed, for the sole purpose of money and power, I wonder if they even had a single ounce of guilt in their hearts. These people who stood up at podiums and screamed their voices hoarse with accusations that this government was corrupted and this government was this and that, do they even have a single ounce regret while they go and join forces with this said corrupted government? Just selling their soul for money and power without a thought. I guess when you accumulate enough money and power, all your morals and shame just vanishes into thin air.

It also breaks my heart to see the youth of this society just wasting away with no sense of purpose or responsibility. A huge percent of our youth under the influence of addiction and what's left of them in the darkness of depression. And what breaks my heart even more is that these problems are just ignored and pretended to not exist while the people of this society are busy fighting over which political party should rule the country. These individuals, each with the ability to improve, to get better, to stand up, if only someone just bothered enough to give them a push, they are just tossed aside like filth. So many of the youth being abused while growing up, just ignored and unnoticed. So many of the young girls being raped and assaulted, just unseen.

Recovering drug addicts, falling off their wagons. Why? Coz when they tried to change, nobody acknowledged it. Nobody gave them a chance. Trying to find a job, a purpose in life, and constantly being dragged down by this society. So eventually they turn to drugs again. And that leading to gang violence. That leading to mistake after mistake after mistake. All because they made one mistake, they tried to change, but the judgmental hypocrites of this society just enjoyed putting them down. These teenagers, the youth, the future of this very country,  they are just falling and falling with nobody below to catch them.

Another issue that bothers me is that, in name, we are a 100% muslim country. And yet, there's nothing about this country that could prove this fact. Adultery, it's strictly prohibited in Islam. And yet, this is something that's as common as drinking water after a meal. Child abuse, domestic violence and homosexuality, ALL prohibited in Islam. And yet, here, in this country it's an everyday ordeal. Not a day goes by without hearing of someone who got raped, or a kid being abused, or a baby being thrown somewhere, or that someone assaulted someone with a sharp object. It is true that in the past few years, people have become more aware and in touch with our religion. But as some people come on to the right path and try to amend their ways, others are going overboard into the path that will lead to nothing but a house of fire on the last day.

I love my country, this is my home. And wherever I go, I am pretty sure I will carry a piece of my home with me. And eventually I WILL come back to this place in the end. But I have begun to hate what my home has become...

14 comments:

  1. good article... well expressed thoughts ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, flyingmaldivian and thekuul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true the article is.....i love my home tooo ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Home sweet home no matter how much it sucks eh? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. While it is a good article, it's on a very basic level. It's quite good, if you're in high school, or college.

    Also, while there were quite a few others, this one was the most jarring grammatical error, personally - "People came together to voice there concerns regarding the change in the dollar exchange rate and the prices of the commodities that we consume daily."

    The there in this sentence should have read as their.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe. Thanks for pointing out the error. That was purely by accident. :P I DO know the different between 'there' and 'their'. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you. It breaks my heart to see that there is so much violence and just plain disgraceful things going on in a place that was once said to be peaceful. :( I don't think anyone would be proud to call themselves Maldivian anymore. Great article by the way! Looking forward to more posts from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for dropping by my little blog! Glad you liked my posts! :) Looking forward to hearing from you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally agree with you dear ... and its a kewl blog ... jus dropped in and found out that u've linked me in here .. thnks ..and happy bloggin

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is really good and so true..if only more people would realize this and try to bring a change. Nobody seems to be really concerned about the country or the welfare of the society anymore..the leaders of the nation are too preoccupied with the future of their party. and i hope u write more articles..i would love to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dhona: Thanks for dropping by my little bloggy! Glad you liked my articles. :)
    Lazza: People who agree with my views should like come together and bring about a change dho! :P Anyway thanks so much for taking the time to read my articles! :)

    ReplyDelete